Leadership Institute Class of 2019
February 3, 2019
The Wildlife Society (TWS) is currently accepting applications for its Leadership Institute Class of 2019. Leadership Institute is designed to engage participants in a series of activities to develop and expand their leadership skills. The Leadership Institute is geared toward early-career professionals, typically two to three years out of undergraduate or graduate school, who are currently working full-time in a wildlife professional position with demonstrated evidence of leadership potential. The program begins in May and concludes at TWS’s Annual Conference in Reno, Nevada in October. During the conference, the Leadership Institute cohort will participate in various activities, including mentoring and leadership workshop sessions. Participants will receive complimentary registration and a travel grant to attend the conference. Throughout the 6-month program, participants will engage with Leadership Institute alumni and TWS Council members, work collaboratively to understand a wide array of leadership styles and perspectives, develop stronger written and verbal communication skills, and learn how to better navigate the conservation field.All applicants must be members in good standing of TWS and a chapter or section of TWS. The selection committee will be seeking to create a diverse group with participants of varying gender, ethnic, and regional diversity. Selection will be based upon:
- An excellent academic record
- Demonstrated leadership capability or potential
- Demonstrated level of excellence in current position
- Commitment to and involvement in TWS
Preference will be given to individuals who are certified as Associate Wildlife Biologists® or Certified Wildlife Biologists®, or who have submitted such an application to TWS.
Applicants must submit (in one PDF, excluding recommendation letters):
- Completed Leadership Institute application form
- Cover letter with evidence of leadership capacity or potential, such as previous leadership in TWS organization units or in other organizations
- Résumé including a list of publications, awards, etc.
- Academic transcript(s)
- An essay (1000 word limit), which succinctly summarizes 1) your concept of leadership, 2) your aspiration for your engagement within TWS and the wildlife profession in 5 to 10 years, and 3) why you are an ideal candidate for the Leadership Institute
- Have two letters of recommendation sent from supervisors, academic advisors, professors, or others with whom you have worked and who are familiar with your previous and potential leadership, history and commitment to TWS, and commitment to wildlife management and conservation
Letters should be sent directly to email@example.com with subject line “Leadership Institute Recommendation for [applicant last name]”. Application deadline is March 24, 2019. Email all materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit http://wildlife.org/leadership-institute for more information.